27 August 2007

WOW!


I checked out of the Waldorf this morning. It's an Icon, there's history so I thought I would give it a try but really, it's a small, old ...hilton. Service, marginal. Most people were nice but once I was checking out...they were polite but I don't feel like part of a family...
So I saw Letterman...which was cool. Not great but well what do you want it's a tv show.
I moved to the Chelsea Hotel, after leaving the taping.
Now the Chelsea also has a long history. Artists, writers, Musicans have lived there for years and years...Mark Twain, Dylan Thomas...Sid Viscious Killed his girl friend at the Chelsea...and Arthur C. Clarke wrote 2001: A Space Oddysey while living there.
I though, "hey..another icon..." but really this place has a great feel. It is undeniably unique...my room has a balcony, I can walk out on ...look down on the street...Most places, you're sealed up, like living in a chinese food container....The room here breathes...the doors and windows don't fit. Over time the joints and seals have become misshaped and everything has changed since it was built. Art is on every floor of the stairs....I walked top to bottom just to see it all. The roof has a patio...with no childproof, 10 foot high protection....I leaned over just to look down....I held on to the stone ledge and it scared the shit out of me....but...I was really experiencing something....and to me the best part of all, and I'm taking as a statement....No Gideon Bible! It's the only time I'm seen it! No Bible! Awesome!
I even worked on my journal and some of it was better and different than I have ever done...
It's a pretty good day....I'm only here for two more days....but this will be a great place to come back to.
they even have a kinko's 24 hrs around the corner so I can post with pictures!
The little places....
If you come to NYC you have to check this place out!

No comments: