15 March 2013

Arles

I watched "Lust for Life" with Kirk Douglas years ago. It's still a favorite of mine. Watch it if you have the time.
Parts of it were shot in Arles at the van gogh sites. Now I'm here.
I wandered the streets. I meant to hit all the van gogh sites but I just wandered. Two days. Narrow streets. Wooden shutters and stone streets. Roman theaters and tiny cafes. I forgot why I really came and sank into this place.
It's off season so there are no crowds for anything.
The thing I knew would be here but wasn't prepared for was the wind. It feels like a giant is standing over the land and swiping past everything. It shoots through the streets. It blasts through the squares. It's like a person that keeps turning up around every corner.
I have to come back. Arles is small and could be done in a day but to feel it, really, it needs more.
Bullfights in the roman arena. That must be something.
Booked my train for tomorrow.
48 is coming, and I'm ready.

No comments: