13 March 2011

ok ok


Arrived last night from Santa Fe.
Shorter drive but still the drive is getting to me.
Ate. Slept.
Woke up this morning. Oatmeal is $5. Brought to the room. $8.
So I go down to the cafe. The hotel is very nicely done. Historic building with all new appointments. People are friendly. Genuinely friendly. The guy at starbuck could really give a shit about what kind of day I'm having. Here at least, they seem to care.
I sat down, unfolded myself and an older asian lady came to serve me. Her accent was charming and she moved like she wanted to go 90 mph but was told to go 30. I gave her my order and she disappeared.
I drew for a little bit and and came with coffee and turned her head down to talk to me like I was nine years old with a grandma's smile and eyes. It was nice.
Coffee in me, my eyes were cracked open and brain starting to shuffle, the lady...comes....she comes to the table with a plate with fruit and oatmeal...held like it was the kings crown and she says ..."Here comes the sweetie..."
I laugh to myself when I think of it. Those are the moments I love on these trips.
I had two more cups of coffee and finished all my oatmeal.
I asked her name and she told me, Kim. I thanked her for a great breakfast and she told me to come back soon.
So sweet.
Off to the OK art museum, a show on George Nelson. Had not heard of him but his designs I'm a fan of. One of those people whose work you know but have been invisible.
I'm late.
I'll be in Memphis late tonight or tomorrow.
Tired but not exhausted.

No comments: