14 March 2007

Uluru

I got up this morning at 4:40AM. Showered and was picked up by the bus that took me to the rock.
I watched the sun come up and watch the rock as it turned from black, to brown to a bright living red color. I watched this in the viewing area with about 400 other people, mostly japanese tourists. Now I hate people, crowds of people whatever. The sunrise was nice but I had to get out of there.
The bus dropped me at the cultural center and I started the walk around the rock. When it is cooler the park allows you to climb to the top of the rock but the local caretaking tribe asks people not to climb the rock because it is sacred to them. I can understand and respect that, however the bus driver told me up to 10,000 people in a day will climb the rock when they are allowed to.
Anyway, the clouds persisted and the first quarter of my walk was cool. Looking at the curves and shapes in the rock it had so much character. It looked more like a muscle than a piece of earth.
The rains the night earlier left a few small trickles of water here and there. Some really great spots.
I finished the walk in about 2.25 hours. Much better than I expected.
Back the the I met up with a couple from Cleveland that I've been running in to alot. We talked about travel and places we've been. They mentioned a spot I may go to next year and they went off on a camel ride.
A very welcome hot shower made me a bit more socially presentable, and I relaxed in my room with a large bag of Soy Chicken Potato Chips, a coooooolllllddddd can of coke and put on Led Zepplin "Physical Graphitti" that I picked up for my drive a long the coast. I leaned back remembered my day. Called my mom and there you have it.... Another birthday down.....

No comments: