09 March 2008

meat!


Yesterday I got a lot done. I rode three buses. Picked up my Hard Rock pin, Walked on the beaches at Impanema and Copacabana and had dinner. NOt just any dinner. The local thing on saturday is Feiojada. The book said its a local favorite so...where do you go for feiojada, but ...casa de feiojada....
I walked around all day so I was hungry. I knew it would be lot so I paced myself for the experience.
The waiter brings a small bowl of beans ...as an appetizer. This bowl is like a shot. You drink it then the mean comes. Cool, I guess..but then THE MEAL COMES!
A bowl of meats simmered in beans, a bowl of beans, rice, seaweed, fried...potatoes, banana, jicama...I still don~t know what it was but it was all good.
I~ve been watching what Ive been eating for weeks and now...MEAT! Meat of all kinds in this bean-meat war in this bowl. It was all really good but too much for one man, and they kept wanting to fill the meat bowl and the rice plate....I was going to panic, but I kept my calm.
I ate as much as I could...relaxed. Drew a little. and left.
The owner sat me next to two women. New yorkers. After they found out I was from LA, the first thing. "you know you people can walk you know...." People indeed suck.
Anyway, they left...I ate...then I left.
Now for breakfast I had an omlette and fruit and juice and coffee.
When I travel one of the keys to success is managing my digestive system. With the breakfast I had and the freight train of fat and protein moving through me I was in a dangerous situation.
I walked about three blocks to catch the bus and across the street I saw two buses waiting, and I thought....Hmmmnn....should I shit now or wait until I get to the hotel. I realized in this moment, it~s the same question as if you say to yourself, should I break up with my girlfriend now or wait for things to get better.
1) If you have to ask you need to and 2) if you wait things are only going to get messy.
I searched the street. Down at the end ...five blocks or so...Mercure Hotel...5 star...nice shitter....to my left....brazilian hotel....2 maybe 3 star...Id be rolling the dice...but I~m a gambler.
I went to the local hotel and asked in my worse portuese for the toilet...it was clean but so small I had to literally shit sideways. Unfortunately my deposit was so foul I flushed twice and felt like leaving a tip and an apology.
Instead, I calmly left and without making eye contact said...Obrigado....
I^m at a hostel today. This environment is much much nicer than the hotel. Cool people around. NIce music and I~m going to maracana stadium to see soccer! What could be better.
later!

No comments: