19 March 2008

ugh...home

I spent about 24 hour total in transit since I left my hotel in sao paulo and put the key in my own lock at home.
I'm spent, but I can't sleep. I don't know what clock my body is on buy I'm exhausted but I can't go to sleep. I'm sure I'll pass out eventually.
I wasn't really into this trip for the first few days but getting into the colonial towns brought me around. The slower pace and tremendous artwork got to me.
One thing that caught me by surprise on this trip, was something the brazilians did. Subtle but really charming.
I got stuck short of cash at the post office. I thought I would just go to the ATM and pull some cash but it turned out to be more exhaustive, but anyway, I told the lady behind the counter I was short and I would go, get cash and come back. Rather than roll her eyes or have security throw me out, she looked me dead in the face gave me the slightest nod and gave me the thumbs up. Not a dufus, grinning thumbs up you get in the states but her fist was firmly clenched, thumb tight against the index finger and with that look and the gesture I felt connected. She was telling me, "don't worry, we'll make this work."
I thought this might be just a moment with a lady who had some kind of character, but this gesture and attitude was everywhere in Brazil. A bum was hassling me at lunch and the cook came by and got rid of the guy. I told him thank you in portuguese and he gave me the dead eye stare and the thumbs up. The same one.
It's a very unique kind of dynamic I wish I found more on this side.
Anyway, that's one of the best things I got from this trip.
I"m home so no posts for a while unless some weird shit happens or a wild hair grows.
later all
Your humble narrator,
P

No comments: