11 March 2008

tiradentes

the book 1000 places to see before you die says tiradentes was an amazing place.
I don~t know if I had to see it before I die but I did get the feeling about an hour in that I was probably the furthest away from LA that I could possibly get.

the town is hundreds of years old. Dotted with churches and authentic buildings. The govenment designated tiradentes an historic area so the buildings, materials and colors have to be authentic.

So you have rustic buildings, stone roads and sidewalks, surrounded by jungle and mountains. The sound of cars in around but horses walk the streets and kids run around between the buildings. Its difficult to describe the feeling.

I shot a video but can~t load it from my location right now. I may try again later.

I came in by bus from belo horizante where I just flopped for the night. I~m planning on ouro petro tomorrow. Another must see colonial town.

The trip is getting better. The heat makes doing a lot difficult so I~m paring down my itinerary accordingly.

I~m still on track to make the falls on my birthday.

I need a shower and to unload. I^m still carrying my feojada from when I was in rio. I know it~s coming. I~ve been hoping it wouldn~t demand an exit while I was on a 7 hour bus ride.

I have a good spot here in sao jao del rey. I got lucky. It looks like it~s a brand new posada. The operator seemed very happy to see me and to give me a room.

People have been very friendly. I was worried about the crime and I have heard of some but not experienced anything bad.

Because of the heat I~ve only been out at night once and I~m pretty careful in general regardless.

I heard a guy got his camera stolen and he had to pay just to get the memory card back. He was at a whorehouse but still it can sour an evening.

And the general fights and stolen wallets from guys at bars.

I´m pretty sure I miss a lot of the danger since I don~t drink. Alchohol seems to be an important ingredient when things go bad.

I~m off for a shower. I need it.
later

No comments: