12 March 2009

like a dog...


before I left I thought about a haircut. usually my thoughts about grooming on my birthday trip is that it really doesnt matter what I look like since this really isnt a social trip but last couple of days looking at myself in the mirror, I was starting to resemble a sheepdog, a round headed sheepdog. Now even I have some pride so Ive been keeping my eye out for a barber and while hunting for a restaurant open for a late lunch there it was "barber shop" in english on the window and a man in a black shirt reading the paper.
the most expensive item on the menu was 10 euro and I could go for that. Now rather than explain what I usually get in the worst possible italian and have this guy learn english, I waved my hand around my head and said....short. He responded "corti" and I said..."sure....corti" In a barber shop...what else is he going to say...really...
he put the bib on me and off we went. first he took the scissors to my sides. clipping and banking the scissors against the comb. It reminded me of when I got haircuts as a kid. I still remember the upholstered booster I used to have to sit on....anyway...
After the scissors he pulled the electric clippers. Now these things made a loud buzz every 2 minutes or so and it freaked the barber when it happened. I could tell he was a little off about it, but he fixed it...no shit...with a hair pin. Whatever adjustment he made worked because I lived to tell the tale.
He cut ALOT of hair and as the layers came off the snow white of my hair started to really come in. The last top layer was about 30 percent grey...now im closer to 60 percent.
He was about done but he had to do the finishing touches. Now before I had lasik alll this was just a fuzzy bunch of movements until I paid but now I saw the guy go back to the sink and get his straight razor. NICE! this could be it for your hero...
but where the girl from supercuts asks "straight or round" for the back, a man with a straight razor decides for you, and I have no problem deffering the choice in this situation. 10 euro and I was out of there.
Now, food. As I mentioned the afternoon alot of stuff closes until dinner so I ended up at a sandwich shop with a bakery. I had very nice roast beef sandwich and the hog I am I was sizing up the pastries. I chose a little cake with powered sugar on top and a macciato to go...
I walked down the street to have my dessert in the shade of a church, and you can see the scene in my picture.
I didnt know what was in the cake, if anything, and bit into it to find pineapple. Fuck! I love pineapple. I only had a thimble full of coffee so I had to measure each bit so I could finish the two at the same time.
I must say, the moment was nicely done.
That was about 30 minutes ago.
The internet at my hotel sucks so I stoppped here at an internet bar on a side street in town.
Im working on a few things for the trip. so Ill have more later.
later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, let's see the hair! By the way I use to take you to get your haircuts, when you were little. Tony was the name of the barbor. You use to get a lolliepop and some after shave. You loved the lolliepop but not the stinky stuff!