26 March 2010

over and around

My last hotel was nice. New and a little sterile. Modern. I needed to change so with the internet ...tap tap tap....new hotel, cheaper. Not a chain and great!
Both hotels have very annoying security software that makes every program and website very very slow. This wasn^t a problem at my first hotel but it seems to be an issue now. Oh well. I have old hardwood floors and a big window. Fuck it.

Change of venue is nice so I took a walk. I only brought three shirts and one pair of shorts on this trip...and a pair of pants extra. My antartica clothes were throwaways, dumped in Ushuaia to save weight but now I have smelly hold overs so I walked. I found two old ladies with five washing machines. My spanish sucks so I^m hoping I get clean clothes tomorrow.

While searching for laundromat I stumbled across a 114 year old cafe. Art on the walls and plaques everywhere from the city. I went in for lunch and it was nice. Just the kind of place I like. Old, filled with furniture not quite as young as the waiters. I sat and do what I do when my mood turned. I tried to figure out what happened and the sound of rumbling conversation was clearer...and in english...I looked around more closely and half the people had camera straps on their back and sitting ass forward in their chairs. Ugh....this place was a douchefest. The women at the table next to me spoke so her conversation was clear above even the clatter from the kitchen and the table across from her was talking lawyer this and movement that, FUCK! I had to get out. Check, cash, street. Pissed off again. Fuck.

So I walked. I^ve been pretty good with my diet and excercise on this trip so I picked up a pear and a peach from another local guy. He seemed happy. So was I. Keep the little guys in business.

I try and walk on a new street every time I go out. This time I was a block over but on the other side of town. Sidewalks seemed tight, dark, dirty. Buildings were the same size but sunlight seemed to be a weak yellow. This is where I bought my fruit. I didn{t feel threatened but I was aware of what was going on around me. I usually am when I travel but sometimes you have to move the defcon up a hair.

This city is full of fantastic old buildings with balconies and cafes pressed into facades. You have to see it. So different than back home and I don^t know why it has to be that way.

The fruit worked by the way. All systems clear.

Layed in the tub. May go to the jazz spot again.

more pics on flickr.

two days till the plane...
more later...

No comments: