17 March 2014

49

Left the hotel late. I wanted to see the red fort and the museum of modern art. So far I've been stumbling along. 
Yesterday started holi. I haven't seen the spontaneous color bombs in action but I did see a few people with greens and reds on their faces. Hotel guy says holi doesn't really go until the 17th. I'm a little bummed but these things usually work out.

Metro to the red fort. Walking around the station I found a small temple. Along the wall was a rod with some brass bells. I could hear the bells clanging every so often and I found them. 

Some men bowed rang a bell and turned around a few times. Some men rang two or three bells bowed and left. 
I like the sound of a bell.
I put a few rupees in a box and with one finger a clanged the bell on the furthest left. 
Once. 
It sounded clear and clean. Brass makes that noise. 
And it was gone.

I got lost but my fucking phone got me turned right. 
In the street was a dog. 
This place is flooded with dogs but this one was in the street pissing. Not with one leg up but stretched out, front and back legs extended out and his back hips pushed downward, WOW
I was mesmerized. By the time I thought to get a picture he was done and gone. Fuck...
Red fort was beautiful. Did a drawing. It was getting late. I get paranoid on travel days. I may have put too much on the agenda. 

Metro and walk to the museum. 
The museum had an exhibit by an Indian artist...,,subodh Gupta 
Chromed sculptures and some put together found pieces.
One of the sculptures had a caption, "You can't finish all your work in one lifetime."
Sometimes you come across nuggets when you need them.



Tuk Tuk ride to the metro station and back to the hotel. Shower and scrape and check out.

Another Tuk Tuk ride to the train station. Hotel guy says the ride will cost 100rp. My driver says the meter is broken. 200.
Bfd. We go.

Half way to the station we stop. There is traffic but the man on the car in front of us is bandaged up and my driver asks some questions then gets out and starts pushing the car.
Nothing much is happening ...
So fuck it.., it's my birthday, I get out and start pushing too. 

They get to the side and my driver and I look at each other. 
We are good people...

A little ways further driver pulls to the side and puts on some kind of uniform top. He smiled at me and said something. I don't think it was English but we are bonding over the course of this ride. 

Then it's over. 

I'm 49.

Next stop Jaipur ...

1 comment:

Neil said...

Sounds like an eventful birthday!