22 March 2014

Hyderabad

Train gets in at 7 o'clock.
It's 80°
I checked the map on my phone. It's 3.2 miles to my hotel. Only an idiot would walk from the train station to the hotel.


Pretty much everyone of these cities looks the same to me now. Asphalt. Trees. Random cows and dogs. It's good. My feet are okay. I just slept for 10 hours on the train this should not be a problem but...the heat. I'm starting to sweat and the the little autorickshaw drivers are hovering on me. They're pretty persistent at the train station. I look like I'm fresh meat to them, but I'm waving them off with my hand, low to the ground and shaking in a manner that means no. 
I'm walking. My bag slung over my the top of my head and it's resting on my backpack. I'm alternating between carrying the bag at the end of my arm and carrying it on the top of my shoulders on my backpack. It's a long way and I'm walking through cow shit, horseshit and dog shit. Every couple of minutes an autorickshaw driver comes up and tries to get me in. I'm saying, "No, I'm good" and they smile, because I don't look good. 
I keep pushing. It's hot I get to nice street with the trees on each side so I have some shade. 

The buses aren't stopping. If they got me up the road a bit it would help but they blunder by sounding their horns. 

I remember that on the map it says my hotel is near the red hills and the road starts to rise. Nothing horrible but with sweat in my eyes and my shirt sticking to me it's somewhat unpleasant.

The trees subside and I'm in the open. Sun on me. The rickshaws keep coming but I keep waving them off.

I'm on the same page on my phone map. I have to be close but the road keeps going up. 

I sit down for some water on the steps of a business. I've been walking for and hour and a half. 

I stop in a market and buy a club soda and a coke. I'm planning for the end. At this point a bus rickshaw or motorbike is not an option. I'm getting there myself. 

Walking the street you can see a brand new office building next to a man in a shack frying bread for a nickel. The extremes can be severe. 

I'm still going up and I pass a talk thin man leading two blind men down the roadside. I can't imagine what it's like to be blind walking on the road with busses rickshaws and everything screaming around you.

Map says turn left.

Left. 

Down. 

It's here. 

The reception welcomes me to the pearl city. I'm offered a drink check in.


Fuck.....,

Shower.
My bucket of ice comes and....aahhhhhhh

I feel good. Tired but good. 

Seeing the town for a bit and moving on.

Times running out.

No comments: