28 March 2014

The rocks

I found the one of the hard rocks on google maps . So fucking easy it was crazy. One bus and one minute walk. 
Don't ask why I was going to hard rock. It's just my thing, okay. 
It's hot. Nothing new but it bears repeating. My bus, the 332, is going by, it slows to avoid killing a motorbike and I jumpgrab the side handle. I'm on. 
I work my way inside, pay my fare and hang on. I'm watching my spot on Google Map on my phone. Fucking amazing. I'm in India and I can GPS myself with my phone. I used to do this with just my guide book and a lot of time. 
We're going. And going. And going. 
The road gets narrow and dirty. Then office tower. Bizzare.
The map says I'm at the end. 
The bus slows on the middle of traffic and I jump into the middle of the stopped cars and get to the side of the street. I walk to where hard rock is on the map.
.
.
.
Dirt.
Road over pass. 
Motorbikes. 
.
.
.
Hard rock?
No.
Google did this to me before in Jaipur. The temple I was looking for was actually blocks away . A local lady helped me get where I was going so I tried the same tact. 

Hard rock was not a big draw for this crowd so I decided to abort this mission and regroup at the hotel.

But it's 3pm.

I had breakfast at 10am.

I should eat. With the heat and all I know I shouldn't run on no food for long.

Walking down the street I saw a tiny restaurant. People yammering and lining up to get in. When the locals line up its a good sign.

I got there and a young guy was standing in front of a cauldron on oil. Red oil. In the oil, chunks of meat covered in a chili based batter. I knew this because the smoke and the flavor on the smoke caressed my skin and punched me in the face.

I walked up and asked the kid what it was in English. 

He looked at me to say why are you speaking English and responded, chicken.

He pointed to the cash the cash register where I ordered one chicken potoya and a limca. Limca is essentially lime and soda water. Pretty fucking good.

In about three minutes a shallow metal tray with about ten pieces of hellish red chicken pebbles slid in front of me. Some veg and a green cilantro sauce.

Now in context because I was hungry my opinion here might be affected but that chicken was other worldly.

I crunched into chicken bone and hot chili juice coated my mouth. The wave of flavor pushed my eyes it the front of my head.

So I had more. 

My mouth,
tongue, 
lips,
and teeth were on fire in the best way possible. 

And when I needed to pull back. Limca.

I swept up the red chili and green sauce with chapati. Which was also essentially a tortilla. Perfect.

I have yet to pay the digestive price for this lunch but when it comes... It was worth it.

No comments: