08 March 2012

Ah...I'm back

I needed stamps this morning for postcards. I pussed out and went downstairs to the gift shop where the lady told me the stamps say 25p but we charge 50p. Yes?
Now it's not the money per se but to mark up 100% because you are in a tourist hotel and you're not going to try and find a post office and fuck you very much sir...
No.
I've been a lazy bitch this trip so I decided to sack up like I should have and find a post office. Looked in the booked, two stops on the metro and I'm there. Looked up the spelling of post office in Cyrillic and found it across the street.
I went to the top of the stairs and between the bottom and the top floor empty, abandoned, blocked off office space. Thanks email!
At the top a confused lady made some hand gestures indicating I should go across the street.
Downstairs I looked but what she meant was around the building. I found another door and behind a glass partition was a sweet old lady that sold me postage for my cards and a couple of stamps for my journal.
Good start.
Now I picked a random direction and wandered down a park lane where kids were sliding on shovels and adults were playing hockey.
I kept walking but I knew I was going to get hungry. I've been eating shit last few days so I looked for something better.
I still can't read so I looked in windows and I found a spot that had big glass cases of food. Jackpot!
The place had wifi and pictures of Mickey mouse yelling profanity. Awesome! The girl behind the counter flirted with me a little so I felt like I was hitting my stride.
Finished eating. Now what. Wander ...
I've got to keep moving. I go over a bridge and catch a beautiful view of the kremlin and some shining golden onion domes. Amazing.
And I see a trolly. I don't know how much or how to ask and I don't know where it's going. Perfect!
Last person on, I watch the guy in front of me digging for change. I start looking for signs. He's paying and I find a sign that says "blah blah blah....25p.....blah blah blah...28p" I pull 28 roubles and push it through the window and nothing. I start to sweat a little the a little hand pushes a ticket at me! Success!
I grab a seat and watch the city move by. The city looks familiar...
This fucking trolly went back to the exact spot I started at. Nice!
Off the trolley, I played dark alley. Which I play when I travel. The game is. Find an empty dark alley and don't get beaten to death.
I found an empty alley at the end of the trolly after a block....I found....a farmers market. Perfect!
I need something for my bag on the train tomorrow. Snacks I figure will be like prison currency and I would rather have peanuts and cashews than another less attractive alternative.
I found a stall with two old ladies. I bought four bags of nuts and asked to take a picture with them.
The lady behind the counter took my camera and turned into fellinni. She took 6 pictures of me with the other lady pretending to sell me nuts.
Priceless.
Walked back to the hotel satisfied that I had successfully diverted from the tourist track.
I catch the train midnight tomorrow.
This is going to be fun....

No comments: