16 March 2012

A good couple of days

Two days from Irkutsk to ulaanbaatar.
In my compartment were two guys from Tajikistan. Little English so they talked to each other.
Six hours at the Russian border. The Tajiks apparently had gone to Afghanistan and the Russians wanted to know about it. The six hours might have been mainly because of that but I don't know.
Finally over the border then three hours for the Mongolians to approve and stamp our passports.
At this point I met two German guys and a Dutch girl, that are traveling. We ended up chatting most of the way to ulaanbaatar.
The group are in their twenties and we talked about politics, art, family, government. Conversations I can't have with most adults at home.
Train pulled in early and I cabbed with them to their hostel and I got to my hotel. The hostel had everything so I was a bit jealous.
I slept most of the day. Changed money. And met them for dinner. Mongolian bar b que. We did not get an answer if this was a genuine Mongolian Tradition but it was great.
Walked back to my hotel after saying goodbye. They are going to the gobi for five days and I'm headed to beijing in a day.
Tomorrow I signed up for a one day tour in the national park and with some local families.
It will be great

No comments: