22 March 2012

You can't go home again

I was here in 2001.
Near broke. No job to come home to, but it turned around, here, at this hotel, the Astor.
after I got the news I was hired for the job I have now. I bought a coke and stood on the bridge across from the hotel and watched the lights across the river.

Yesterday I saw those lights again and they are magnificent. It's raining now but I'll stand in the rain just to watch them again.

I walked through the city again. I remember shanghai as pretty in some parts. Dirty and broken in others the way most of us are.

I checked into my room and the hotel was redone in 2002. No more dorms. Fabric on the walls and carpet most floors. It's not what I remember.

The city were there were back alleys and food stalls are full of business towers.

It's different. Evolved. Can I blame them. No.

We all change.

I did find a backalley food stall and ate fried rice under a tarp in the rain.

I paid twice what I should have.

But it was worth it.

On the way to 8pm.

Change my shoes and go look at the lights.

I'm in the home stretch.

I'm drinking in as much as I can ....

No comments: