12 March 2012

Kruska

Morning on the train.
We are in siberia outside omsk.
We picked up passengers in perm last night so now there are four people in my cabin.
Alexei and Andre. Twenty something. Speak mostly Russian but Alexei does speak to Rick and I in English.
I have coffee packets but no cup. There is hot water at the end of the car.
What do I do?
Alexei comes on with a glass in a sliver holder! The train provides it for coffee! Excellent! But how do I ask the older lady for a glass without getting beaten Down.
I ask alexei how you address an old woman politely. He looks confused. He says just ask, please, cup...
I tell him I want to be polite and he tells me, "we don't do this ..."
Interesting.
I ask him for the word for cup....
Krushka...,
And please
Paroshka...
And I head for the old lady.
Now the lady cleans the car and mans the hot water dispenser which is industrial grade. Both the water dispenser and the old lady.
She looks to be 60...ish... Pale pinkish white skin, thin blond hair under a blue kerchief, five foot nothing, two hundred pounds....ish.
I'm on dangerous grounds here but I want some coffee.
I approach poke my head around the corner. Using as much charm as my fat head can pull together I let it go....

Paroska....
The old lady, sitting turns her head at me....eyes on me, cheeks up with a hint of disgust.....
Krushka, I say....



She looks down, puts her hands and her knees and gets up....

Krushka..., she mutters...
YES!
She goes to the other compartment and pulls down a glass and places it in a sliver holder and hands it to me.

I have coffee and am watching the frozen wilderness pass my window.

No comments: