12 March 2012

The train

Before I left on this trip I watched a video by Henry Rollins who took the same trip I'm on.
He got to the station and asked for help and the attendant told him he couldn't find the platform by himself.
Having seen that I was determined to do it on my own as much as much as I could.
My hotel was two blocks away so I checked my bag and left for the station five hours early. Cops are everywhere and they never have a happy look.
I read my ticket, every sign, kiosk, posting or paper.
My train ends on Vladivostok, but I'm not going that way. I found my train but no platform. I scouted the locations. There are two terminals for departing trains. I would have to wait to see which one was mine.
I ate. Waited. Waited. Walked. Snacked. Waited.
My sleep schedule was getting adjusted so I was getting tired. My train was at 2345. Last train. I could not miss it.
I watched the board. Finally at 11:00pm. My train was assigned a platform. Number 1.
I picked up my bag and left the station. It was chilly. I looked at a sign and it was -4 c. I think it converts to ....cold.
I went to the ticket window and held up my ticket and said "Irkutsk?" and pointed to the platform. The lady grumbled to her friend and pointed to the other terminal. Two ticket and passport checks and I was in.
Tired the train pulled out on time.
The berth is comfortable. Four beds but only two of us. Rick from holland. He's traveling for six months. Nice.
Out the window now is a lot of snow and trees. So pretty. Snow makes everything look clean .
two days to Irkutsk

No comments: