20 March 2012

Food

Had a rough start yesterday. Forbidden city packed packed packed with people. Loads of school kids everywhere and pushy people and my camera is acting up so I could not get the one picture I really wanted.
Anyway, changed hotels then out for food.
I was feeling it so instead of the metro I jumped on a random bus. Traffic was bad so about 30 minutes later I jumped off. I was going to head for a small alley I saw yesterday for food but on the way I found a stall selling bao.
I cannot read chinese so I pointed to the first item on the list and asked for two. I figure it's on top why put something iffy on the top of your menu.
Success! I got two bao with spicy beef and egg.
Still hungry I looked for another small shop but I found 7-11. Good for a cheap drink but 7-11 here has a guy on the store cooking stuff. One bao, one fried tofu and a coke. Two bucks. Nice! This bao had beef and green onion.
Awesome!
Still not done, might make it to the alley and have a sit down meal but found a girl in a tiny stall frying small round things with black sesame on top. Ordered one....jackpot! It had thick vanilla custard! Ordered two more and had coffee at mcdonalds. Perfect.
Watched the flag go down at tienamein square and walked s bit more.
I made it to the alley but full. So I walked around.
I saw a menu with mapu tofu which is a very spicy tofu dish. I was full so I only had one plate after all when will I be in Beijing again.
The plate was deep dark red with chili and tofu. I tell you it was an epic experience.
Limped back to the hotel to sleep.
Up in about an hour for the train to shanghai.

No comments: