27 March 2006

alexandria

alexandria
alexandria,
originally uploaded by utt944.
18 hours. 18 hours on the bus. I arrived in Alexandria yesterday. I caught the city tram on the way to the hotel. This thing was 40 years old if it was a day. I saw the mediterrian and jumped off. Way too early. So in the sun, I'm dragging my bag down the coast to the hotel. Two university girls, looked at me with pity and offered to help. Now I have some pride. Not a lot but a few shreds, I wouldn't let them carry my bag but a guide to the hotel would not be bad.

When we got to the first hotel it was booked. Fortunately my guides helped point me in the direction of another spot. I treated for lunch, I got to the room and slept, for 14 hours.

I got up today. Had some coffee and simple breakfast at the hotel and off to the library.

The legend of the Alexandria Library has fascinated me since I was in grade school and finally I was here. The new building is I think the only modern building in Egypt that has been impressive to me. Most the the buildings have been done cheaply and/or without any style at all. The exterior is well done and the inside. Well the inside opens at 11am and they wouldn't let me in.
It's raining a little so I'm off to the hotel to change my pants. I've been wearing shorts the whole trip since it's been in the 80's. I'm the only one in Egypt in shorts. Well there are a few other foreigners running around in shorts but not too many. Since the weather is getting cooler. I'm going to adapt.
2days till saloom.

No comments: