20 March 2006

square 1

I just got off the bus jumped on the last subway and I'm back. Back at the same hotel, in fact the very same bed.
This bus was quicker and somewhat more comfortable. It still sucks that I had to take the scenic route for this leg.
I'm now at a 2E net bar rather than a 20E net bar in Sharm. I know the exchange rate but the economic forces are so strong here any victory is significant.
Anyway, I got up this morning and tried to make travel arrangements. While I waited to hear back I took a run down to the beach. The hotel had a private (20 feet) of beach so I put my feet in the Red Sea. I Korea I put my feet in the Yellow Sea, I think I just have the Black Sea to go.
While waiting for the shuttle to pick me up I met a very friendly man. We got to talking and he was from Pescara, Italy. I told him I worked with someone from Torino. He nodded his head as if to say "this means nothing to me but I will be polite as the situation demands." Great guy. 62 and still travelling with his wife and daughter. He tells me Sharm el Sheik and Hurgada are very popular with Germans and Italians.
I might have guess but I would not have guess Sharm el Sheik was popular with the russians. There were russians everywhere. In fact most of the travel info in the lobby was in Russian.
I don't care really one way or the other. It just caught me by surprise.

Anyway, I'm fine. Exhausted. I'm grabbing a falafel and a coke and calling it a night.

More later from where I end up.

ps. I heard about the lady with bird flu. don't worry, I'm not.

No comments: