12 March 2006

Koln, Germany

Damn. Sometimes this happens. I wear myself out then everything starts to piss me off.
After two hours of trying to find my hotel I went sight seeing. Got lost for another hour. Got really hungry and settle for McDonalds.
By the way, someone told me once that the Big Macs in every country taste different. I told them I didnt think it was right. It didnt make sense.
Well for the record, Ive had Big Macs in six countries and they all taste the same.

Back to the story, I landed this morning at 940am, in Frankfurt. I rented a car to do one of the things on my list Ive always wanted to do. Drive the autobahn. Not just drive but go fast.
I once got my GTI up to 100mph but that poor bastard rattled and shook like a WWII battleship taking fire.
Once on the way back from San Francisco I got my friends Mustang GT to 115 MPH. There was traffic so I had to back off.
But here, Germany....I had to see.
I rented an Audi and got a pretty good deal. Its comfortable but not plush.
Anyway, I had intended to go to Stuttgart to see the Porsche factory said the last two days had snowed and I didnt want to risk long drives in the snow in a foreign country. So I cut Stuttgart and headed right for Koln.
I asked the girl at the rental counter the best way to get to Koln, and she told me no problem the car has a NAV system.
A nav system, SWEET, I thought.
I got in the car started it up and fired up the nav...you guessed it...its in german! No english, just german. Im fairly smart and all but Im not learning german in a parking garage so I can find my way to my hotel.
I punched in KOLN on the Nav and the voice got me out of the airport and on the autobahn.
I was nervous. I started to pick up speed just to keep up with traffic and people were going about a hundred.
Then I got comfortable. Well as comfortable as you could with a german chick telling you were every turn and exit is and when its coming up.
Traffic thinned out and I punched it.
Punching it is an overstatement. The car is actually a turbo diesel and when you put the pedal to the floor, the speed ramps up, the way I ramp up when the alarm goes off in the morning.
Long story, short....I hit 198kph about 120 mph.
I have a personal speed record. No one was hurt and now I have to get some sleep.
I have yet to find my hotel and I smell.
More later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Germany...very cool! Have a great time!