25 March 2006

What a waste of time

So I go to the station this morning to catch a train to Cairo. I run into some americans I met at the valley of the kings, chatted. They watch my bag and I go for my ticket. NO TICKETS! F. Next train is in the morning or I could spend a lot on the sleeping train I took to get here. I'm not doing that again. It was nice but I have a budget.
I haul my bag to the bus depot and ask when the next bus to Cairo is (mind you I spent 12 hours total on a bus yesterday to Hurgada and back). Next bus 7pm. 7! At the time it was 10:30 AM. F.
Ok, any movement is good. So I'll come back at 6pm. I went to a great net room down a back alley I found. The owner is an young egyptian guy who just got married. He told me what he had to go through and nodded and smiled politely. I kept my opinions to myself.
I hung out for a while, then took the ferry to the west bank and took a walk down some dirt road. I met a guy and his son that runs a papyrus shop. Usually these guys are on you like flies to go in the shop look around "free look free look" until you buy something. But this guy was cool. I sat in the shade drank some water so I didnt die in the heat and he told me about how the village has changed over the years.
I came back to the net bar, still 3hours to kill so I surfed the net. What I ended up doing is viewing random blogs. I can get random sites with the button up top. I figure these are my people now so I should take a look at what they are up to.
The majority are just shills for web ads.
Most are not in english. Pass, unless there are photos.
Many are from teenagers screwing around. Yes, I'm that old fart now that complains about teenagers...bah...(next stop ---apples for halloween)

A lot are people that like to tell stories about how drunk they got and how fun it was.
A few are interesting. I came across one from someone that is travelling just like I am. They're in Spain now with some cool pics.
One was a joke site and I added a link to a blog with painful crash pictures. Yea! That's entertainment.
Anyway, I have an hour and a half to go. I'm hitting McD for coffee and apple pie to try and induce movement before I get on the bus. The facilities on your average bus if they exist are rudamentary, to put it mildly.
Next stop Cairo.

No comments: