14 March 2006

moving

Ok, so get drop off the car. I'm having mixed feelings about Germany. It was nice and all but I didn't feel right. I didn't have fun the way I usually have fun on a trip. Fuck it...moving on.

I picked up Lufthansa on this leg. They put us on a brand new A330-300. Very nice. The flight attendant said she didn't like it because the aisle were narrower than the A300. I'm not a flight attendant but from her perspective she probably had a point.
The plane was booked full but I guess had a lot of no-shows so I went from an aisle to a window, and I didn't have anyone sitting next to me. Sweet! Off with the shoes, pour me a coke and let's go!

On the way to Frankfurt I was thinking. "You know I've never taken a dump on a plane....." Guess what on this trip I had to go. Another first!
Luckily the A330 is a new plane. This thing must have had six middle toilets because there was no waiting and no one was banging on the door while I was taking care of business. Everything went ok. A little turbulance, but I did feel funny. The toilet was facing in toward the cabin and not toward the front of the plane. I know it would be stupid to design it that way but you know how you feel when you ride the bus and you get a seat up front facing the side. Ahh, what the hell, it worked.

I got off the plane. Customs. Taxi. Boom, I'm gone.

Now,Every trip. EVERY TRIP! I have a great taxi ride. I've never been here before and there is no way in hell I would ever drive here. Lane markers mean nothing. Every car has a dent and is missing paint. I saw one OBVIOUSLY new VW Golf. It was sad to think in about a month, that class validictorian will be another banged up heap like the rest of them out there.

Anyway, the cars are 5 and 6 across going 60-70 mph. You can't see daylight between these guys and what do I see? Pedestrians! What the fuck! These guys walk into the street and just cross! 5x10 cars coming at them 60+, "whatever, I gotta get to the other side...." There is some sort of system at work here, I saw kids, old men and ladies crossing the road and no one was killed (on this trip).

I was looking around taking in the city, which is really amazing and really what I came for. This is travel. Germany was cool and all but dirty, run down shops and house and masses of people scratching at you for money, now I'm somewhere interesting.

The city is speeding by and I'm checking it out but I'm more fascinated with the driving. Moving in and out. Dodging people, animals, pedestrians and other cars. I try and guess what I would do if I were driving but I'm too slow, taxi driver has NASCAR skills moving up and around quicker and with more balls than I could ever imagine.

On the trip, I'm looking in other cars and there are whole dramas going on in each of them. Priceless.

Well this thing is costing an arm and a leg already so I'll finish here.
Tomorrow is my birthday.
I'll let you know what I did later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul, this is like reading a book! Where are you here though (or did you not say on purpose)?