15 March 2006

things to remember when traveling.

The hotel is much nicer than I'm used to staying at. It is Eqyptian 5 star. It is an old historic building and close, very close to the pyramids.
Morning coffee was in the shadow of the Great pyramid, then I was off.
Walking around the complex was great. Lot's of tourists but early in the morning it was managable.
You can buy a ticket to enter the pyramids and it was worth it. Cramped and the chambers are empty but the impact of the space and knowing you are inside one of the great wonders of the world is pretty awesome.
So, I puttering along and a young guy comes up to me and asks where I'm from. Now, I should know better. I've been around the block I know this is setting me up for hasseling for money but I slip. I tell him LA, he says he wants to give me gifts for my family, next thing you know I have a arab head dress on my hands are filled with cheap egyptian crap and here it comes..."are you happy, do you have something for my family?" Shit....
I give him a 20. 20 Egyptian is ok. He gave me stuff and he was ok about it.....but no 20 is 3 dollars american....and he knows it ....and he tells me....now I'm getting pissed. But it goes on....I end up at least getting a coke and an armful of cheap crap for 50 pounds....WAY TOO MUCH but to be rid of him, worth it...
Now these guys are all over, camel rides, guides, gifts....they try and keep it low because security will bounce them but everyone knows what's going on and it's the tourist's job to keep these guys at arms length.
I ended up getting a guided tour, which I could have seen myself and a brief trip on a camel.
Damn.
I did really enjoy the Giza when I was by myself. Keeping these guys out of your hair is a travel skill you have to develop and actually in hindsight rather amusing.

I'm leaving the hotel today and moving into the city. Giza is way out and there isn't much here that I can see so the high end of this trip ends and dorms, hostels and cheap rooms from here on....
I had a great birthday....but there is one more thing I came to see in Egypt.

No comments: